David kerber wrote:
On 2/22/2013 6:51 AM, chris derham wrote:
I mean I need a tomcat service which can interact with desktop and can
access network resources

Top hit when googling for 'windows service interact with desktop'

http://lostechies.com/keithdahlby/2011/08/13/allowing-a-windows-service-to-interact-with-desktop-without-localsystem/

The basic answer to your question is :
The fact that under Windows you cannot do what you seem to want, has to do with Windows and how it handles Windows "Services". It does not depend on Tomcat in any way, and there is nothing that you can do in Tomcat to change
this.

You can flag a service as being allowed to interact with the desktop.
This is turned off by default

And doesn't work in Windows Server 2008 and later.

Apart from that, there seems to be something illogical in your request.

I think it is very strange that the server needs to open windows -
surely on the server nobody is going to be there to look at them?

For the record, usually when people want a Service - like in this case Tomcat - to be able to open a Window, it is because they want to run from Tomcat, another program (like Word e.g.) which requires a window in order to work properly. And when they want to run a Service under a normal (aka Domain) user-id, it is because they want this service to be able to access Windos "network resources" (like network printers or network disk "shares"). The "local service" accounts are not allowed to access these resources.
Our OP wants to do both, I presume.
The second part (using network resources) works fine.
The first part (running programs which require a Window) usually doesn't, because those programs are usually such that they do not work "as a service". It is not usually only the fact that they need a console, but they need a whole bunch of other environment which a Service does not provide.
It will only work when the other program is specifically designed to work that
way.
For example, OpenOffice in "headless" mode works fine. But MS-Office programs do not, and this mode of operation is explicitly indicated by Microsoft as "not recommended and not supported".