2013/2/28 Vihari Piratla <viharipira...@gmail.com>:
> I am trying to set the logging level of a webapp deployed on tomcat.
> Here is the logging.properties file ...
> 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.level = FINEST
> 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
> 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.prefix = catalina.
>
> 2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.level = FINEST
> 2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
> 2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.prefix = localhost.
>
> java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = FINEST
> java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter =
> java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter
>
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].level = FINEST
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].handlers =
> 2localhost.org.apache.juli.FileHandler
>
> but I cant see the debug or fine logs in catalina.out.
> What am I missing?
> Thank you.

1. Which "logging.properties" file it is?  The global one, or
webapp-specific one? Is above a fragment, or a whole file?

2. "catalina.out" is not a proper log file,  as explained in documentation

3. You configure options for "ConsoleHandler" and "1catalina..
FileHandler" handlers,
but you do not create them (a list of handlers is empty) and no log
categories are configured to send their log events to them.

The only log category that is properly configured,
"org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost]"  uses
"2localhost....FileHandler".

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko