On 28/02/2013 06:29, André Warnier wrote:

Konstantin,
(and I fear that this is going to raise hackles again, but I think it
needs to be said)
the truth of the matter is that the logging setup in Tomcat is obscure,
cryptic, and in any case beyond the comprehension of 90% at least of the
Tomcat users at large.
I am willing to take a bet that 90% or more of the Tomcat installations
worldwide just leave it alone as it comes, for fear of breaking it, and
just "fix" it with scripts outside of Tomcat.
So, it is really no wonder that a user would be puzzled as to how this
stuff works and how to simply get a logfile out of his app.
Or how to simply get Tomcat to write /one/ logfile somewhere, with no
daily rotation, with everything in it, and just have it rotated as need
by an outside logrotate, as is done for 99% of daemon programs under
Unix/Linux.

Patches to the docs / configuration / implementation welcome.

Mark