On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 09:33:28AM -0500, Daniel Mikusa wrote:
> Personally, what would worry me the most about this setup is configuring
> and tuning each of the pools.  Since they are all going to the same DB, I
> wouldn't want to overload the system with too many connection, but at the
> same time there has to be enough in each pool to service the needs of the
> application.  Plus getting this right, would seem to get trickier as you
> add more pools into the mix.

I concur. But on the other hand, this granularity offers clear benefits,
provided that one can identify the low rates and heavy hitters. The usual
concerns related to tuning apply of course, as you noted. We'll see.

On a related note, it seems that there is some also ambiguity in the
standars with respect to pooled getConnecton() vs. getConnection(user, pw).

Thanks for the comments,

Jukka.