Chris,

So in
Tomcat 7 you might use:

sslProtocol="TLSv1.1" sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.1"

and in Tomcat 6.0.32:

sslProtocol="TLSv1.1" protocols="TLSv1.1"

It works for me.

Can you file a bug for this? That should be a) documented and b)
accept either "protocol" or "sslEnabledProtocols" to make it line-up
with Tomcat 7.0.

Sure, I will. But, before I do, I just want to point out here to another issue:

Attribute setProtocol="TLS" -- which is how both Tomcat 6.0.36 and Tomcat 7.0.37 comes pre-configured -- enables different groups of protocols on Tomcat 6 and Tomcat 7. Tomcat 6.0.36 will enable SSLv3, TLSv1, TLSv1.1 and TLSv1.2, while Tomcat 7.0.37 will enable SSLv3 and TLSv1. This is counter-intuitive and might introduce problems when upgrading from Tomcat 6 to Tomcat 7.

Which behavior is right? I prefer how Tomcat 6 is interepreting that attribute -- trying to enable best possible TLS protocol versions available.

OTOH, from Tomcat 7 documents it seems that the value of attribute setProtocol is just passed to JSSE when creating SSLContext. I assume that Tomcat 6 did some pre-processing before passing that attribute to SSLContext.

WDYT?

-Ognjen