Chris,

Which behavior is right? I prefer how Tomcat 6 is interepreting
that attribute -- trying to enable best possible TLS protocol
versions available.

OTOH, from Tomcat 7 documents it seems that the value of attribute
setProtocol is just passed to JSSE when creating SSLContext. I
assume that Tomcat 6 did some pre-processing before passing that
attribute to SSLContext.

Are you sure it's not a JVM default and not Tomcat's default? Tomcat's
default in both situations is "TLS" which may mean different things
depending upon the JVM configuration.

I am testing both Tomcat 6.0.36 and 7.0.37 with the same, Oracle, JDK 1.7.0_09, on Windows XP SP3.

I just unpack zip ditribution, uncomment default HTTPS connector (with sslProtocol="TLS" already set), change port 8443 to 443, and test with:

  https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/

For Tomcat 6.0.36 it reports:

Protocols
TLS 1.2         Yes