Following up...

-----Original Message-----
From: Harris, Jeffrey E. [mailto:jeffrey.har...@mantech.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:52 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Procrun and Tomcat service/OS shutdown on Windows

(snip)

Finally you might also want to try delaying the shutdown timer on the system to
give Tomcat and/or HSQLDB more time to shutdown.  It might be possible that it
is taking longer than the 12 seconds Windows allows by default for a service to
shutdown.  That timer can be changed at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control (WaitToKillServiceTimeout
value; the data is in milliseconds).  However, Windows 7 and Windows Server
2008 R2 need a hotfix to change this setting (see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2549760).

Jeffrey Harris

Jeffrey -

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Our customer is indeed running Win7 professional, so I passed this on.  The
SERVICE_ACCEPT_PRESHUTDOWN is interesting for a longer-term fix, if we modified
the commons-daemon code ourselves.

On another note, I corresponded with the HSQLDB maintainer and he told me that
if the shutdown is interrupted, the database can be corrupted.  He is plugging
various holes in this area, but is not yet taking advantage of any native
support for transactional disk writes that might prevent that sort of thing.
Wondering if any of the other embedded db's (Derby or H2) use them...  'More to
investigate.

Regards,

Steve
This message is intended only for the named recipient. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or
taking any action based on the contents of this information is strictly
prohibited.