Jakub 1983 wrote:
why do I have to enable jmx with command

*set CATALINA_OPTS=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote \
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=%my.jmx.port% \
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false \
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false*

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/monitoring.html

even when I run it *under java 6* ?
in java 6 jmx is active by default (it is active when I run my own main),
I cannot see how it is disabled by default by tomcat start scripts,
but when I run default startup, I cannot connect with jconsole,
when I set CATALINA_OPTS as above, it works fine,
but why doesn't it work without it ?

What you say above seems to me largely nonsense.
There is nothing in the standard Tomcat startup scripts which sets or unsets these properties. Consult the following page to see what the Java JVM defaults are for Oracle's Java 1.7.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/management/agent.html

(for example, com.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl is true by default)

Other versions may have different properties or values.
Pre-packaged versions of Tomcat for various OS/platforms may also have different defaults, but that depends on those packages, not on Tomcat per se.