Jakub,

"You don't have to" configure Tomcat with above settings to get JMX. You
are correct that JMX works out of the box. However, that works only
locally, above commands are for REMOTE JMX access. You are opening up a jmx
port so external (not same machine) jconsole or jvirtualvm can access JMX
MBean server your Tomcat is running. Thus, if you want to connect to remote
Tomcat instance, "you have to provide" JMX connection details, and that's
what we often do.

The above settings are best configured in CATALINA_HOME/bin/setenv.bat or
setenv.sh script that you need to create. Even though this script doesn't
exist by default, startup script calls it if it is created by user. All
your customizations should be contained there.

Hope that helps. Cheers!