Chris,

Okay, it does not improve performance, but it sure confuses the heck out
of man-in-the-middle attacks!

> As for Fourier transforms, that's just security through obscurity
> (though it's pretty good obscurity). "Fast" Fourier transforms also
> work best with data sizes that are powers-of-two in length and so your
> throughput can experience odd pulsing behavior while your buffers fill
> waiting to be transformed. Unless you have one of the aforementioned
> "DX2" style processors coupled with a V.22bis-capable device, you are
> probably not going to be able to keep up with all the traffic your
> Gopher server is likely to generate.

Well, I was focusing on performance here, not security.  And if I use my Amiga
1000, I can invoke hardware security because of the non-standard RS-232 port
(just try and connect a regular RS-232 cable to that system, and see how quickly
the modem shorts out!), and because the instruction set uses Motorola 68000
instructions, not DX2 Intel instructions.

> - -chris

Jeffrey

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) named herein and may contain proprietary information. If you are
not the intended recipient of this e-mail or believe that you received this
email in error, please take immediate action to notify the sender of the
apparent error by reply e-mail; permanently delete the e-mail and any
attachments from your computer; and do not disseminate, distribute, use, or
copy this message and any attachments.