On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM, David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Is there a "restart" command available?  Obviously I need to do some more
> research now that you've gotten me started.

David,

I don't think you can "restart" Tomcat JVM process. Why do you want to do
that? What are you trying to do? Maybe you could reload the application
instead or reset certain components (Service, Engine, Host, etc...)?

That you can do, using JMX, e.g.

Catalina:type=Service --> stop() and start() operations
Catalina:type=Engine --> stop() and start() operations
Catalina:type=Host,host=localhost --> stop() and start() operations
Catalina:j2eeType=WebModule,name=//localhost/JmxExample,J2EEApplication=none,J2EEServer=none
 --> reload() operation (JmxExample is my test application)

As far, as an example of MBean  - I will see if I can come up with an
example MBean application.

You can see JMX tutorial here:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/jmx/index.html

Hope that helps!