> From: Jason Aleski [mailto:jason.ale...@gmail.com]
> Subject: context.xml vs ROOT.xml

> I've got my configurations stored in the META-INF/context.xml
> file, but because I'm not deploying my application as a WAR,
> the context.xml is ignored.

Why do you think it's ignored?

> I can copy my application's context.xml and place it in the
> tomcat/conf/context.xml and it works.

And is exposed to _all_ of your webapps, since conf/context.xml is implicitly
included in every webapp.

> I can also place the database connection in the
> tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml and it works.

Which is where it belongs, when it's supposed to apply to the default webapp
only.

> If I'm only running one application, does it really matter?

Are you really running only one application?  Have you actually removed all of
the others that come with Tomcat, including the manager?

Think about what happens when you decide to install a second webapp; best
practice dictates that you not have to modify the global config to do so.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.