Chris,

I see that only the URI is being send in the first-line of the
request, and not the protocol-qualified URL. Ognjen asserted that most
user agents send the whole URL but I have not observed this -- neither
today nor in the past. I think most browsers will probably just send
the part of the URL after the protocol://host:port on the first line.

No, I did actually wrote:

Me:
According to RFC2616 (Section 5.1.2), client may send absolute URI or absolute
path. Majority of clients will send absolute path when talking to the server.

Therefore, I agree with your findings. When there is no proxy involved, most clients will send HTTP request with the *absolute path* in the first line (e.g. "/examples/index.html"), and not absolute URI.

I believe my first reply was maybe not precise:

Me:
Iptables will not change the URL.

What I meant to say here is: iptables will not change anything in the originating HTTP request, including elements which were extracted from the URL (absolute path and host header).

-Ognjen