Well, I tried to declare the per-host web.xml as a web-fragment like this but
it does not work:

<web-fragment>
<ordering>
<before>
<others />
</before>
</ordering>
</web-frament>

Tomcat is expecting a <web-app> which can only contain <absolute-ordering>
which must reference other fragments. I wanted the content of the host web.xml
to be applied first and transparently to the webapp.

Xavier

> From: kal...@hotmail.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Subject: RE: Default web.xml for all webapps of a specific Host
> Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 16:55:55 +0200
>
> Ok, I checked with only listeners and filter-mappings (whose order matters)
> and the resulting order is the following (from top to bottom in effective
> web.xml):
>
> 1: main web.xml
> 2: global web.xml
> 3: host web.xml.default
>
> So is it possible to have them in order (2, 3, 1)... I guess not but there's
> no harm in asking =)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Xavier

>> Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 15:01:28 +0100
>> From: ma...@apache.org
>> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: Default web.xml for all webapps of a specific Host
>>
>> On 16/05/2013 14:47, Xavier Dury wrote:
>>> I tried adding a
>>> $CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/web.xml.default and checked
>>> what was the resulting web.xml with logEffectiveWebXml="true". I noticed
>>> that the order of the various elements (filter, servlets...) appeared as:
>>>
>>> 1. conf/web.xml
>>> 2. WEB-INF/web.xml