> From: john Matlock [mailto:johndmatl...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Moving Tomcat to work externally.

> Following instructions found in various places I added the following
> to the server.xml file and restarted Tomcat:

If you followed something that said to put a <Context> element in server.xml,
you need to stop going to those places and read the real Tomcat doc.

> <users@tomcat.apache.org>

The above has no business being anywhere in a config file.

> <Host name="books-on-line.com" appBase="webapps">
>       <Context path'"" docBase="C:\inetpub\wwwroot\" />
>    <Alias>www.books-on-line.org</Alias>
>    <Alias>www.books-on-line.net</Alias>
> </Host>

Take out all of the above; none of it is needed or desirable.

Remove the ROOT directory from Tomcat's webapps directory, replacing it with
your webapp renamed to ROOT.war (or, if it's already an expanded .war file, put
it in the ROOT directory under webapps).

> Chrome, Firefox and even tried IE from another machine -- all say they
> can't connect.

What URL did you try to use?  Where is the "other machine" located relative to
the one Tomcat is running on?  What port is specified in server.xml?  Is there
a firewall blocking that port?  Be specific when reporting problems.

> Tomcat version: Whatever comes with Railo 4

If you don't know what it is, remove it, and install a real one from
tomcat.apache.org; otherwise, you're just shooting in the dark.

> Is there something else I'm supposed to do?

Register the DNS name for your server with your DNS providers.

> Did I do something stupid?

Not terribly, other than not reading the real Tomcat doc before making changes.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.