On 2013-07-23 Eugène Adell wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 3:10 PM, honyk <j.tosov...@email.cz> wrote:
> > >
> > > Try running VisualVM as an administrator.
> >
> > I've found the problem, but I have no remedy for it yet.
> > https://java.net/projects/visualvm/lists/users/archive/2013-
> 07/message/2
> >
> > Briefly, the service uses the TMP environment variable as it is
> specified
> > for the given user, but when that user is logged remotely, the suffix
> > \<session_number> is added at the end of this path so these both do
> not
> > match and VisualVM doesn't detect my tomcat/JVM as expected.
> >

> I had a similar problem when using jps/jstat and finally I found
> someone advising to use -J-Djava.io.tmpdir option. It worked for me,
> try adding -J-Djava.io.tmpdir when calling visualvm

This helped a bit. Now I can see two extra <Unknown Application>s, but
without any details. One pid belongs to tomcat. From this
http://visualvm.java.net/troubleshooting.html I suppose I changed only one
of two paths which should match:
While 'java.io.tmpdir' is now %TMP%\hsperfdata_username, ?jvmstat? is still
looking for the content here: %TMP%\<SessionNumber>\hsperfdata_username

I'll consult this behaviour with VisualVM developers.

Jan