Hi Mark, thanks for the prompt reply. I tried your suggestion, and yes,
*something* happens. The log says

15.08.13 18:45:50.903 [INFO] | [Thread-5] [Http11Protocol] [Pausing
ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-8080"]]
(org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService).
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for
more info.

but the tomcat exec-war process is still alive (ps tells me so). I then
forced a thread dump and it revealed that amongst a bunch of daemon and GC
threads the main thread is still alive and waiting in
Tomcat7Runner.waitIndefinitely(). Anything else I should try?

Olaf