Hi,

Could it be possible for the tomcat team to include a
javax.naming.spi.ObjectFactory which would use EL3.0 expressions?

It would be great if you want to have resource-ref which are not of the usual
types.

I always wanted to have an ObjectFactory for URLs but having one for each type
is too much work... so now, that we have a more powerful EL engine, maybe it
would a great opportunity to use it.

<Resource
   name="/url/SomeService"
   type="java.net.URL"
   factory="org.apache.tomcat.jndi.ELObjectFactory"
   importClass="java.net.URI"
   expression="URI('http://some.service.url').toURL()"
 />

 <Resource
   name="/cache/CacheManager"
   type="net.sf.ehcache.CacheManager"
   factory="org.apache.tomcat.jndi.ELObjectFactory"
   importClass="net.sf.ehcache.CacheManager,java.net.URI"
   importStatic="net.sf.ehcache.CacheManager.newInstance"

expression="CacheManager.newInstance(URI('file:${catalina.base}/conf/ehcache.xml').toURL())"
   closeMethod="shutdown"
   singleton="true"
 />
What dou you think?

The only thing that bothers me is how EL works with overloaded
methods/constructors (it can be tricky sometimes).

Regards,

Xavier