I've got an app that I'd like to register some plugins for.

Some examples of the things I'd like to register are the levigo JBIG2 decoder (for PDFBOX), and the TwelveMonkeys JPEG plugin (for CYMK/YCCK) image thumbnailing.

I've tried just putting the jars in the $CATALINA_BASE/lib (6.0.37) directory but it looks like that is not enough to register them. Just out of curiosity, is that right? Should tomcat be registering them? I've looked, and there are META-INF/services entries. FWIW, I am also running under a security manager.

I'd like to use the plugins if they're available, but not put a dependency in my code for them. I'm running several hundred contexts per instance, so it would be nice to move it to the container.

Is there a way that I can specify something in the server.xml code that would register them? The only thing I can see is to create a org.apache.catalina.LifecycleListener and put the code to register the plugins in there.

Is there some other way of doing it?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

--
George Sexton