Konstantin,

> 2013/9/11 Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:

>>> I only ever run Java with tomcat (or maybe ant), so I wouldn't
>>> know.
>>
>> Okay. I had never heard of an "imageio plugin" before. Are you
>> basically registering file-type handlers?
>>
>> I'm just guessing at all of this, since I've never done anything
>> besides use ImageIO for mundane operations like loading, saving,
>> and re-sizing images.
>>
>> Have you called ImageIO.scanForPlugins()?
>>
>> The documentation gives light detains on how the plug-ins are
>> found:
>>
>> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/javax/imageio/ImageIO.html#scanForPlugins%28%29
>>

> Those docs say that scanning is performed automatically on first
> access.

Aah, yes. I didn't read it very closely :)

> As such, I would really recommend to write a Listener,  so that
> whatever classes are  found by scanning were loaded by the System
> classloader and had no references to the Webapp one.

The implications of doing this are that George will need to place the
JAR file(s) containing his plug-ins in Tomcat's lib/ directory, so
they can be picked-up by the top-level ClassLoader.

Using the existing JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener (with appropriate
configuration) might take care of this... I don't exactly know when
ImageIO will actually trigger this scan.

> Having unexpected references to the Webapp classloader would be
> bad, as it leads to PermGen memory leaks.

+1

> The above is just a theoretical recommendation. I do not know how
> ImageIO manages those classes internally.
>
> BTW, beware of known issue, mentioned in the FAQ,
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/KnownIssues#ImageIOIssues

+1