Do not top-post. It makes it difficult to follow the conversation, who answers
to what etc.

From:   Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@gopivotal.com>
To:     "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Date:   09/20/2013 07:10 PM
Subject:        Re: MaxClients and maxThreads

On Sep 20, 2013, at 9:27 AM, mohan.radhakrish...@polarisft.com wrote:

Is this a hard limit ?

No.

So if there are 4 cores there can only be 800 concurrent clients. None of our banks is calculating this like this and some have Apache and JBoss on the same machine which further limits the threads.

Appreciate any help.

Hi,
I am following the instructions in https://access.redhat.com/site/articles/15786 to tune MaxClients in httpd.conf and maxThreads in JBoss Tomcat. " The recommended value of maxThreads is 200 per CPU, so here we assume the server is a single core machine. If it had been quad core we could push that value to 800 or more depending on RAM

and other machine specs. The total threads
is an aggregate value. If Apache and JBOSS are on the same server, and that server has four cores, then you would halve
 the maxThreads and MaxClients to 400 each."

Don't base your performance tuning on values you found in an article online. The author of this article has no idea what kind of hardware you are running, what your application is doing or what your needs are for the application. By these metrics, I should setup 800 threads on a quad core system, but if my application is only supporting 10 users that's way too many. Examine your needs, set the values you think will work and then load test to see how things perform. Adjust the settings further based on your load testing results.

mohan.radhakrish...@polarisft.com wrote:
Yes. I understand the need for capacity planning.

It probably involves concurrency, think time analysis etc. I was wondering if maxThreads and MaxClients are the same value. In a worker mpm MaxClients is the Apache setting and maxThreads is the JBoss setting.

In your kind of configuration, MaxClients are maxThreads are related, but they are not the same. They may be the same if every request received by Apache httpd is always transmitted to Tomcat. But then what would be the point of having httpd in front ?

Moreover how does a figure of 200 for a core justified.

So you mean that the figure of 200 is not based on any analysis.

Exactly. Not all requests are equal, and not all applications are equal. And in processing a request, there is not only CPU time to take into account, there is memory, I/O etc. So who, other than you, can tell how many of *your* requests one "core" can handle in any amount of time ? It is ridiculous to provide such a number as if it was based on anything serious.

Thanks.