On 9/24/2013 12:11 AM, mohan.radhakrish...@polarisft.com wrote:
Yes. That is probably the capacity planning part that involves think time
analysis and concurrency.

What Were They Thinking:
Modeling Think Times for Performance Testing
Tom Wilson

from Computer Measurement Group is what I plan to refer to. But don't know
yet how to mine this from awstats.

The Redhat link describes it like this

MaxClients( 300 ) /  ThreadsPerChild( 25 ) = Processes( 12 )
         mod_jk default connection pool
Each worker has a connection pool and by default the connection pool size
is equal to ThreadsPerChild( 25 )
In the default case each worker has 25 connections multiplexed over 12
processes equaling 300.   Two workers will have  300 x 2 =600
connections to Jboss.

But I don't understand how one core with 2 hardware threads can support
200 threads. I don't get that calculation. The problem is that when I draw
a throughput graph using think time analysis and concurrent connections
estimate I have to use 800 threads for a 4-core system if we have only
Apache there.

As Andre says, it all depends on what those threads are doing, and that in turn depends almost entirely on your application. In some cases, you might be able to support 800 threads per core, and in others 50 per core might be overloading it. You have to benchmark your application and figure out what (if anything) is limiting you.