2013/10/8 André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com>:
> Geoff Meakin wrote:
>>
>> I've been asked to host a couple of tomcat thirdparty webapps which all
>> have either logging.properties or log4j configurations (internally).
>>
>> My question is, as a sysadmin who only gets to run the tomcat container,
>> can I override all the logging configurations of my apps. For example, I
>> dont use disks to log, I use syslog, and want to force all tomcat logs to
>> go over syslog.
>>
>> I've read all the docs on JULI and log4j, and my head has exploded, and I
>> appreciate there are ways to do this in the properties file of the app
>> itself. However, I can't change the apps, and want to override all at the
>> container level. Is this possible? I can't imagine that it wouldn't be.
>>

> +1
>

>> Hope this isn't too much of a n00b question.
>>

> No, it isn't. It is a very good question, very relevant to people such as
> you (and I) who mostly have to manage tomcats rather than developing apps
> for tomcat.

Did you happen to try something with sl4j ? That would be my first try
: get all application logging to sl4j and then manage it as I want.

I don't even know if it is possible at all, and you will probably have
to touch the web app to replace the libraries used by sl4j bridge.

I'm also greatly interested if you find something usable.