Interesting that you're bringing this up, I'm researching similar things for a project. Specifically, I'm looking over the documentaiton at the bottom of the page here regarding log4j:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/logging.html

...and log4j 1.2.9 seems to work great. Has anyone tried this same method with the upcoming log4j2? IE: would the current tomcat-juli.jar, and tomcat-juli-adapters.jar work with log4j2?

Just curious mostly, I'm pretty happy with log4j 1.2.9 as it is. As usual, the Tomcat and log4j dev teams have done amazing work there.

Warm Regards,
Jordan Michaels