Ognjen,

On 10/10/13 4:11 AM, Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:
> On 10.10.2013 6:19, Chirag Dewan wrote:
>> A small update. The customers client is C++ client,which uses
>> OpenSSL. And I found that client hello message is SSLv2 protocol.
>> And the server response(server hello) is a TLSv1 protocol. Is
>> there something I am missing?
>
> There is a difference in SSLv2 protocol and SSLv2Hello
> pseudo-protocol. SSLv2 is basically broken (although a lot of badly
> configured servers still support it).

+1

Also, Chirag has the connector supporting only "TLS", so SSLv2 HELLO
should indeally fail entirely.

> SSLv3, and TLS protocol specifications allow that handshake happens
> in SSLv2 format, and then to immediately switch to SSLv3 or TLS.
> This is also known as SSLv2Hello pseudo-protocol. It is done for
> compatibility reasons, and it is considered relatively safe. It is
> what you are observing, and is perfectly normal.

+1

OpenSSL (and others) are capable of making SSLv2 HELLO calls but then
not actually using SSLv2... this is the default in a lot of places
because old clients and servers still use SSLv2 HELLOs. It's a way to
get around the fact that SSLv2 has essentially been eradicated from
the planet but nobody wants connection errors "just in case".

> In Tomcat you may specify which exact protocols to use, by setting
> "sslEnabledProtocols" attribute on HTTP connector (Tomcat 7/8 and
> Tomcat 6.0.38+), or undocumented "protocols" attribute (versions
> prior to 6.0.38). Those attributes may take one or more of the
> following values: SSLv2, SSLv3, TLSv1, TLSv1.1, TLSv1.2,
> SSLv2Hello. Of course, it is recommended not to use "SSLv2", but
> you may use "SSLv2Hello" (among others), to ensure compatibility.

If you really only want to use TLS but support SSLv2 HELLOs, it's not
entirely clear to me what setting you want here (sslEnabledProtocols),
with sslProtocol, etc. I suspect what you want is this:

sslProtocol="TLS" sslEnabledProtocols="TLS, SSLv2Hello"

Chirag, give that a try and see if your problems are solved.