2013/11/1 Vidyadhar <techienote....@gmail.com>:
> On 1 Nov 2013 00:52, "Konstantin Kolinko" <knst.koli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2013/10/31 Vidyadhar <techienote....@gmail.com>:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > We are facing some weird issue in our Tomcat environment. After starting
>> > the Tomcat process on one of our Solaris server, process is
> automatically
>> > getting shutdown after 2-3 minutes if no activity is done through
>> > Application deployed in Tomcat.
>> >
>> > I have observed similar issue in one of following mailing thread where
> as
>> > user has asked to install a Listener and print a stacktrace when the
> stop
>> > event
>> > happens. I need to know how to install such Listener.
>> >

>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/listeners.html
>>
>> There are several listeners that have been already configured there. You
> can
>> use their source code as an example.
>>
>> > http://www.mail-archive.com/users@tomcat.apache.org/msg84717.html
>> >
>> > Server version: Apache Tomcat/6.0.16
>> > Server built:   Jan 28 2008 11:35:29
>> > Server number:  6.0.16.0
>> > OS Name:        SunOS
>> > OS Version:     5.10
>> > Architecture:   sparc
>> > JVM Version:    1.6.0_51-b11
>> > JVM Vendor:     Sun Microsystems Inc.
>>
>> A recent commercial JRE, but 5,5 years old Tomcat? You may need to read
> this:
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/security-6.html
>>

>> > Error in the catalina.out
>> >
>> > Oct 30, 2013 5:04:56 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol pause
>> > INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-9920
>> > Oct 30, 2013 5:04:56 AM org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector pause
>> > SEVERE: Protocol handler pause failed
>> > java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
>> >         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
>> >         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:382)
>> >         at
>> > java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:241)
>> >         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:228)
>> >         at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:365)
>> >         at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:527)
>> >         at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:476)
>> >         at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:373)
>> >         at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:216)
>> >         at
>> > org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.unLockSocket(ChannelSocket.java:486)
>> >         at
> org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.pause(ChannelSocket.java:283)
>> >         at org.apache.jk.server.JkMain.pause(JkMain.java:681)
>> >         at
>> > org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.pause(JkCoyoteHandler.java:153)
>> >         at
>> > org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.pause(Connector.java:1073)
>> >         at
>> > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.stop(StandardService.java:563)
>> >         at
> [...]

What log level?

Tuning anything on the java side is unlikely to help.

1. If shutdown is initiated by ShutdownHook like in the stacktrace
above, it means that JVM died (because of Ctrl+C or SUGHUP or similar
that happened outside of the Java code)
or exited (because of a java.lang.System.exit() call).

(Well, a JVM can be configured to terminate itself on OutOfMemory
condition, but such option (an -XX one) will be clearly visible among
arguments of the java process).

2. 6.0.16 is so old, and I remember some fixes to shutdown process of
Tomcat 2-3 years ago.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko