Hi,

Should I report this problem somewhere, e.g. on the Apache Infra JIRA?

Note that this problem does not always appear - I think it happens only if
(original_message_length_in_bytes % 3 != 0), because then the last 4 characters
sequence does not represent 3 bytes, but only 1 or 2, and therefore has some
"=" characters at the end. However, in the other case, the last 4 characters
represent full 3 bytes, so another Base64 block can be added without corrupting
the data.

E.g., if you look at this mail from Buildbot [1], you can see that the bottom
contains the "To unsubscribe..." text added by the mailing list. This mail
displayed correctly in my mail client. If you look at the raw message, you can
see that the first Base64 block represents 429 bytes, and as 429 % 3 == 0 there
isn't a problem.

If you look at this mail from Buildbot [2], then the bottom doesn't contain the
"To unsubscribe" lines. In the raw message, you can see the first Base64 block
represents 403 bytes (403 % 3 == 1), so it contains "==" at the end, and the
added Base64 block makes the Base64 invalid. This email displayed blank in my
client.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-dev/201311.mbox/%3C20131118012335.AB0A6C04A4%40aegis.apache.org%3E
[2]