On 27 November 2013 18:24, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> On 11/27/13, 12:39 PM, Dave Pawson wrote:
>> On 27 November 2013 17:10, Christopher Schultz
>>> You mean when you try to reach Tomcat's HTTP port from a machine
>>> hard-wired on the network using the local IP, it works fine?
>>
>> No, sorry , I lie Oops, Google chrom could not connect to
>> 192.168.65:8081
>
> You mean 192.168.1.65:8081 right?

Yes. that's right.

>>> To summarize, you can ping from anywhere but HTTP only works when
>>> you use a hard-wired client? Odd.
>>
>> ping works from both wired/wireless to the 'main' wired machine
>> containing the tomcat server
>>

>>> What if you hard-wire the Windows box?
>>
>> I have both... neither works (sorry)
>
> Okay, that suggests that the problem is on the Windows box.

Noted.

> You said that "wires access to tomcat from a.n.other   no problem".
> What other client did you use and what was its setup?

No, I was wrong. I have a full windows box, wired to the router.
A laptop, wifi connected to the router.
Both report Connecting to (ip ads) Could not open connection to the
host, on port 8081

Both ping the (ip ads) works fine.

>>> Does it have any rules concerning outbound traffic? It might be
>>> blocking lots of stuff to the local network.
>>
>> Outbound? I presumed the block (if there was one) was inbound,
>> http from 'trusted zone'
>
> Your Windows box can be configured to refuse to transmit traffic out
> to certain places. It seems that is the likely problem, here. Check
> both firewalls for any such rules.

Will do. Zonealarm seems v.complex to set up.
I think I need both incoming and outgoing
'mycomputer' to trusted zone :8081
and vice versa

>> IMHO I can ping it... does that necessarily mean I can get http
>> connections?
>
> No. ping sends ICMP packets which are in a special category and do not
> use a port number. They can be allowed or rejected by firewalls. HTTP
> is TCP/IP and uses whatever port number you want (8081 in your case).

>>> As far as the Linux machine is concerned, there is no difference
>>> between a WiFi and hard-wired client, as long as they are in the
>>> same IP range. I'm not sure you could configure iptables to
>>> restrict based upon that criteria alone. Is iptables running?
>>> What rules does it have?
>>
>> Sorry.. excuse my ignorance, but how to check?
>
> As root, type "iptables -L" and it will list all the firewall rules on
> the server. I suspect the server is not a problem, though.

Heck of a list?
is there a gui I could use to add one ... or leave that till I
have tried the Windows end more thoroughly perhaps.
Nothing obvious showing currently.

>>> Windows has a built-in firewall, but I believe it's configured
>>> out of the box to allow anything to call-out to port 80. I'm not
>>> sure about 8080. If you have ZoneAlarm, does that mean you have 2
>>> software firewalls in the mix on that machine? You may want to
>>> check *both* their settings.
>>
>> I believe I have switched off the M$ firewall, since I have
>> zonealarm running?
>
> Only you can answer that.

Windows firewall shows

Home or work(private) networks 'Connected'
Beneath that
  Public networks, Not connected.
Between them
Windows firewall state 'Off'
which is what I wanted.

v.complex i/face though.

>>> Finally, the router can do weird things, too. Check your settings
>>> for anything "restriction-related".
>>
>> It's a BT (our national phone company) router+wifi I haven't found
>> anything strictly ip to ip mapping related.
>>
>> That is one of the potential blockers.
>
> That the Windows machine cannot connect regardless of
> WiFi-versus-Ethernet suggests that the problem is with the Windows
> box, not the network.
>
> - -chris

Again, thanks Chris.

I'll play (on the windows side) tomorrow.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.