I have discovered that under the conf/localhost and webapps directories, all of
the release directories and xml files can be removed, leaving just the
application(s) you want running. I could b wrong but I think this also closes
some possible security issues, besides keeping a smart-cookie from playing with
the examples ...

However I am totally unclear which (if any) java pieces need to be on a
distribution machine. Obviously a source machine needs the Java JDK. On a
distribution machine, apache compiles JSP code initially so it needs something.

One person told me the JRE should be enough, but another said that
Apache/Tomcat actually comes with it's own compiler, and yet another says to
have the JDK.  On my Fedora-18 distribution (before I put in the JDK), there is
at least one java compiler (/etc/alternatives/javac).

So do we need the JRE or the JDK or can Tomcat work without either on a
non-sofware development box???