Christopher Schultz wrote:
That is always true. But you don't need a certificate to create a CSR.
<shrug>
If Keytool and the Java Keystore format even recognize any difference between the concepts of "keypair" and "self-signed certificate," it would be news to me.
<shrug>

Speaking of one who regularly installs (and secures) Tomcat on AS/400s (in fact, that's the only platform I can recall EVER personally installing it on, because I have colleagues who know how to do it on other platforms): The messes people can make for themselves by misunderstanding the subtleties of Keytool are nothing, compared to the mess people can make for themselves trying to use IBM's Digital Certificate Manager to secure Tomcat on their 400s (hint: DCM and Tomcat are completely incompatible with each other).

--
JHHL