On 10/02/2014 01:53, Pooja Swamy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am on a bridge call in the middle of a critical Production issue, and I
> need some urgent help. I am using Tomcat 7.0.x, and my catalina.out file is
> growing very fast. It is currently at 50 GB. I am frequently rotating the
> file, but no luck. I have referred to multiple posts including the Tomcat
> reference library, and commented the ConsoleHandler from my list of
> handlers. However, there is no difference. Based on my observation, the
> file is filling up with INFO messages being written to the file. I see
> close to 10-12 such messages getting generated every second. I am not sure
> where these messages are coming from as I don't have these in my
> application code. So please need your urgent help with the below issues -
>
> 1. What are these various messages written to catalina.out?

And how exactly do you expect anyone here to answer that question with
anything more meaningful than "They are informational log messages" when
you haven't provided a single example of the messages being logged?

> 2. Why are logging messages typically of log4j logging in catalina.out?

Because you have configured log4j to log to the console.

> 3. What other messages are written to this file?

That depends on your logging configuration.

> 4. How can I prevent the INFO messages from being written to catalina?

Configure your logging not to write them to the console.

Mark