> Hi,
>
> I am on a bridge call in the middle of a critical Production issue, and I
> need some urgent help. I am using Tomcat 7.0.x, and my catalina.out file is
> growing very fast. It is currently at 50 GB. I am frequently rotating the
> file, but no luck.

Add
CATALINA_OUT=/dev/null
to your setenv.sh file?
A dirty trick, but might do if you are not reading those files anyway.

> I have referred to multiple posts including the Tomcat
> reference library, and commented the ConsoleHandler from my list of
> handlers.

Each web application can have its own logging library and its own
configuration of logging.

Note that ConsoleHandler is still present in configuration that you cited below.

> However, there is no difference. Based on my observation, the
> file is filling up with INFO messages being written to the file. I see
> close to 10-12 such messages getting generated every second. I am not sure
> where these messages are coming from as I don't have these in my
> application code.

Try googling. If the software is opensource,  the source is somewhere out there.

Try searching strings among class files in your jars.

java.util.logging and Log4J usually provide some context, e.g. class
name that wrote the log message.

> So please need your urgent help with the below issues - Nothing more, no
>
> 1. What are these various messages written to catalina.out?

Just something that something wrote to stdout or stderr.
Anything can write there. Nothing more, nothing less.

> 2. Why are logging messages typically of log4j logging in catalina.out?

Something is configured that way,

> 3. What other messages are written to this file?

No clue.

> 4. How can I prevent the INFO messages from being written to catalina?

Either do not generate them (level at logger in JULI, at category in log4j),
or filter them before writing them out (level at handler in JULI,
level at appender in Log4J).

Either way, you have first to figure what writes those messages and
what configuration file is responsible.