I got it to run in Eclipse Juno.

I see that the controller servlet does not mind get-ting an empty field:

        modelBean.setFirstName(request.getParameter("first_name"));

I think the manual gets in trouble because it wants to validate fields like
email or telephone, then redisplay the same form, with the values, plus
error messages.

I'll try to edit the simple-mvc project to do just that.

Many thanks.