Neven,

On 2/14/14, 4:12 PM, Neven Cvetkovic wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Christopher Schultz <
> ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

>> Lance,
>>
>> On 2/13/14, 11:48 AM, Campbell, Lance wrote:
>>> I am looking for free documentation for scaling Tomcat 7
>>> horizontally. I currently have three tomcat 7 application
>>> servers load balanced.   The system is working good.  I have
>>> noticed that my number of connections has increased.  I was
>>> hoping to find an up to date resource guide that would give me
>>> suggestions on when to add additional nodes.  I know there are
>>> a gazillion variables to consider.  I am just wanting to get
>>> some generalized suggestions. I have read on a couple of sites
>>> that at about 500 to 750 connections one should really consider
>>> adding additional nodes.
>>
>> Unfortunately, there really is no good guide available because
>> it's mostly about your own configuration.
>>
>> D you have a load-testing environment where you can do things
>> like check response-times based upon arbitrary load? If you don't
>> have that, it should be your first step: get a testing rig up and
>> running with instrumentation.
>>

> Chris (and others),
>
> What are your favourite tools for load testing, for performance
> benchmarking, etc.? What are some open-source and/or commercial
> alternatives? What do you like about them?

Apache "ab" ("ApacheBench") comes with httpd and is dead-simply to
use. It's not terribly configurable, though, and is a pretty blunt
instrument.

I favor Apache JMeter because -- though it has a  bit of a learning
curve -- can do pretty much anything you want it to do. (Note that any
reasonably-featureful load-testing suite is going to have a similar
learning curve. Given that JMeter has an ASF community behind it, you
can always ask the friendly folks on their mailing list for help!).