> Any hints? I would really appreciate if someone could provide some pointers
> (e.g. classes involved etc) about the implementation of the mechanism used to
> discover and deploy endpoints; I will then try to study the code in order to
> figure out why it doesn't work when I set jarScanner.setScanClassPath(false)

The discovery is done with an SCI
(javax.servlet.ServletContainerInitializer), as defined in
tomcat7-websocket.jar/META-INF/services.  The class name is
"org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsSci".
It seems that you prevented its discovery by skipping that jar in your
JarScanner.

You can also bootstrap web sockets by defining a listener in web.xml
(org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsContextListener).
That listener just starts and shuts down the websocket engine, it does
not scan for endpoints.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/api/org/apache/tomcat/websocket/server/WsContextListener.html

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko