The Java version wasn't it.  Recompiled and redeployed with 1.7.0_25
and it had no effect.

The SSL handshake problem went away when we disabled TLS 1.1/1.2 in the
JCP on the client side and clicked "Restore Security Prompts" in the JCP.

There was also a problem with JSESSIONID not being sent to the server
which was causing the applets call to the server to get a missing sesssion
exception.  I don't know how that changes when it's the exact same jar
file that worked before.  We put some code into the applet to force the
JSESSIONID to be sent and now it works; as long as TLS 1.1/1.2 are disabled.

Sigh.  We still haven't identified what caused this in the first place and
we're running out of ideas.