Running TC 7.0.42 on Windows Server 2008 R2 as a windows service, JRE
1.6.0_45 32-bit.

What I'm seeing is that my context path is not being initialized with the
name I expect:

My .war file is named eddSrv.war (lower-case first letter), but the context
is being initialized as EddSrv (upper-case first letter), and therefore my
client app is not able to connect to it.  I have 10 other identical apps on
this server, each listening on a different port, and they are all working
fine.

I am configured with catalina_home different from catalina_base, and do not
have a context.xml anywhere that would override the .war file name as the
context name.  Any idea of where else to look?

Excerpt from catalina.log, showing the .war file being deployed:

INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/7.0.42
Apr 14, 2014 1:00:35 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
INFO: Deploying web application archive D:\RtData\EddSrv\webapps\eddSrv.war
Apr 14, 2014 1:00:37 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start
INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-apr-55015"]
Apr 14, 2014 1:00:37 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 1909 ms

And from the stdout log, showing the context path:

2014-04-14 13:00:32 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initialized
2014-04-14 13:00:37: Context initialized:  'EddSrv'

What prints the above message to System.out?

I don't know; I do know that it's not my app...

I have tried setting the logging level to "debug" in tomcat7w, but that
doesn't show anything about where the context name is coming from that I can
find.

You are talking about an issue in a web application.  What is a point
of changing log level of procrun service wrapper (Apache Commons
Daemon) ?

I was just fishing for more information; I didn't really expect it to help.