Hi Chris,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Christopher Schultz <
ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> You need to use a Profiler for that. There are a number of fine
> Profilers available for Java. I use YourKit because they give free
> licenses to ASF committers.

I'll look into a Java Profiler.

> Tomcat provides no such tools. You can use jconsole for a bit of
> profiling, but I've never used it heavily.

I see.

> Honestly, if there is no budget for such tools, then there is no
> budget for improving the performance of your application. You'll have
> to convince someone with a higher level of clearance that customer
> needs are worth spending money.

I am trying.

> > I find Chris' example on writing filters to map to URL patterns for
> > response-time metrics relevant.  I would also like stall counts,
> > concurrent invocations etc.
>
> What is a stall-count? How would you record "concurrent invocations",
> etc.?

So here is my understanding of these metrics:

So if a request for a servlet or JSP exceeds a given time interval, that
would be a stall.  The interval may depend upon the application.  In some
cases, 10 seconds would be considered a stall, some cases, 30 seconds would
be a stall.

Similarly, how many times a servlet is invoked in a given time period would
count as concurrent invocations.  Intervals used for the reckoning here may
be shorter - like 5 seconds - to make it more meaningful for concurrency
values.

Hi Leon,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Leon Rosenberg <rosenberg.l...@gmail.com>wrote:

> last time I tried to use a profile on a production site it killed it within
> a second. Usually the performance overhead of a profiler is so huge, that
> you have no chance to run it in production.
> And real problems do not occur in test labs ;-)
>
> Leon

I need to revisit New Relic.  Many setups use these tools against QA and
don't pass new code until load tests exercising the new code do not trip
any thresholds.  Which is a good workflow, although testing is controlled.
I've only used them against production.

Thanks,

                     -Shanti