On April 15, 2014 at 4:58:28 PM, André Warnier
(a...@ice-sa.com(mailto:a...@ice-sa.com)) wrote:

> Ian,
>
> On this list, it is kind of frowned-upon to "top post". It is preferred when
> people answer
> a question, below the question. Keeps things more logical in the reading
> sequence, and
> avoids having to scroll down to guess what you are responding to.
>
> Ian Long wrote:
> > Yes, I checked both the tomcat log (I’ve configured tomcat to use log4j) as
> > well as my application logs.
> >
> > Yes, 20 httpd prefork processes.
> >
> > I don’t think it’s memory related, I have an 8GB heap and tomcat averages
> > 5GB usage and peeks around 6.5 before garbage collection kicks in.
> >

> Of course we do not know (yet) either what the cause of your problem is.
> But we know that Tomcat would normally write something in its logs, when a
> server error
> 500 happens.
> So,
> - either Tomcat and /or your application wrote something to a logfile, and
> you have not
> yet found that logfile
> - or else Tomcat and/or your application crashed, but did not write anything
> to the logs.
> In that last case, one of the most likely causes for such a behaviour is
> running out of
> memory.
> Whether you believe that this is possible or not is your opinion.
> But it is of the nature of software bugs, to be unexpected.
> If they were expected, they would have been corrected already.

Ok, thanks, didn’t know about the top post issue.

I have tomcat configured to log via log4j, and then there is my application
log, those are the only two logs, and neither contains anything.

It’s not about believing, I have monitoring software that gives me precise
information about memory use and there is no indication of a problem there.

Thanks,
Ian