Chris,

Mark,

On 5/14/14, 1:41 PM, Mark Eggers wrote:
On Wed, 14 May 2014 12:28:46 -0400, David kerber wrote:

I am working on a small Tomcat servlet to monitor other
tomcat-based applications running on the same physical machine,
and am trying to figure out the best way to communicate between
the monitoring app, and the monitored apps.

My setup has several tomcat instances of a single application,
each running from its own directory, and listening on its own TCP
port.  So there is no direct communication between the
instances.

I'm trying to monitor various data about the application, not
about tomcat itself or the JVM. So I want to collect such things
as the number of requests it has processed, the last data
received, etc, and not things like memory and cpu usage.  It is
my app, so I can (and expect to need to) add methods or servlets
to return the information I want to collect.

My question is, what is the best way to make the request to get
the data?  Would  URL request from the monitoring app to the
monitored app be appropriate, and then parse the response out for
display in a browser?  If so, what java class is likely to be
useful for this communication?  I will have all the information
needed to connect to the application instance (server, port,
etc), but want it to be portable across OS types.

Thanks!

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Monitoring

In particular, item 3. Unfortunately, the sample code seems to be
missing . . .

Which is "item 3"? I'd be happy to fix whatever is missing.

- -chris

Example Application Exposing Internals Using JMX

at the bottom of the page goes nowhere. More accurately, it goes to a placeholder page.

. . . . just my two cents
/mde/