Mark,

On 5/17/14, 10:58 AM, Mark Eggers wrote:
Chris,

Mark,

On 5/14/14, 1:41 PM, Mark Eggers wrote:
On Wed, 14 May 2014 12:28:46 -0400, David kerber wrote:

I am working on a small Tomcat servlet to monitor other
tomcat-based applications running on the same physical
machine, and am trying to figure out the best way to
communicate between the monitoring app, and the monitored
apps.

My setup has several tomcat instances of a single
application, each running from its own directory, and
listening on its own TCP port.  So there is no direct
communication between the instances.

I'm trying to monitor various data about the application,
not about tomcat itself or the JVM. So I want to collect such
things as the number of requests it has processed, the last
data received, etc, and not things like memory and cpu usage.
It is my app, so I can (and expect to need to) add methods or
servlets to return the information I want to collect.

My question is, what is the best way to make the request to
get the data?  Would  URL request from the monitoring app to
the monitored app be appropriate, and then parse the response
out for display in a browser?  If so, what java class is
likely to be useful for this communication?  I will have all
the information needed to connect to the application instance
(server, port, etc), but want it to be portable across OS
types.

Thanks!

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Monitoring

In particular, item 3. Unfortunately, the sample code seems to
be missing . . .

Which is "item 3"? I'd be happy to fix whatever is missing.

- -chris

Example Application Exposing Internals Using JMX

at the bottom of the page goes nowhere. More accurately, it goes to
a placeholder page.

Aah. NevenCvetkovic added that link, not me, so I dunno what he was
expecting to put there.

I should probably link to my ApacheCon presentation if I'm not going
to take some time to update the wiki itself.

- -chris

That might be a good thing.

Now that I have some time, I might sit down and a) go through your presentation, b) write some sample applications, and c) write a wiki article on the results of a) and b).

I need to go back and clean up some of the stuff I posted on the wiki as well - the articles are getting rather dated.

/mde/