We have a maven project to develop a jersey 2.0 REST service, on Eclipse
(kepler)
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.glassfish.jersey.containers</groupId>
      <artifactId>jersey-container-servlet-core</artifactId>
      <version>2.9.1</version>
    </dependency>

In conjunction with:
- java8
- tomcat7

When deploying the web application (using `$ mvn install && mvn -X
tomcat7:redeploy`) we get the below exception:
Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
org/glassfish/jersey/servlet/init/JerseyServletContainerInitializer :
Unsupported major.minor version 51.0 (unable to load class
org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.init.JerseyServletContainerInitializer)
at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClassInternal(WebappClassLoader.java:2840)

1. I examined the MANIFEST file in the org.glassfish.jersey.containers jar, and
(as suspected) it says build on 1.7 JDK
2. Tomcat logs confirm that it uses java8 itself

We cannot move back to java8.  Is there a way/hack we can get past this error?
---
Seshu Madhav Chaturvedula