Sounds like a browser issue to me, Bruce, unless you've got something else in
your topology that could be causing the issue. Say a proxy, for instance? Also,
are you sure on the subsequent attempts that your URL starts off with http://
and not https://.  It's a pretty easy detail to overlook.

And on a just curious basis:  Why redirect to 8443 instead of the standard
HTTPS port of 443? Then you wouldn't need the port number in the URL.