Hi,

It might also be possible that the website used HSTS which forces compliant
browsers (hopefully IE too in near future) to only view a site in HTTPS. I
haven't tested how Firefox handles this, but I can imagine that when the
website on :8443 sets an HSTS header and the user enters "www.example.com",
that Firefox automatically switches this to "https://www.example.com/"; which is
Port 443.

Regards,