answering only to the one directed at me (or so I think):

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Christopher Schultz <
ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Leon,
>
> > If you have very fast connections, go for a smaller amount. If you
> > have keepalive and slow connections, remember that every connection
> > can hold 1-2 threads without doing anything at all.
>
> Hmm?

If you have keepalive enabled, then every client will held an open
connection for some period of time. Depending on browser brand and version,
the browser will typically hold 1-2 connections to the server. So for every
logged in users that is clicking or issuing a request regularly (maybe once
a minute or so), you can end up having one or two threads, dependending on
how many connections the browsers holds.
Those threads would be idle most of the time, but still not available to
your threadpool. Usually they show up as Runnable somewhere in socket.read
in the thread dump. So if you have 100 users with 150 connections and 151
threads in your threadpool you can end up with a completely blocked server
with zero cpu usage.

regards
Leon