Simon,

On 7/17/14, 3:52 AM, Simon Kulessa wrote:
> Hi Christopher,

> I checked, and Tomcat does not appear to cache Cookie objects in
> any way. If the request object is cached and there is a terrible
> bug, it might be possible to re-read an incorrect session cookie
> from an old set of request headers.
>
>> At least the cookies have a recycle() method, which is called if
>> a request is recycled.

I don't see a recycle() method in the Cookie class. Where do you see that?

> I honestly think it's unlikely that there is such a bug in Tomcat.
>
>> There was a bug in Tomcat (CVE-2011-3375
>> <http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2011-3375>)
>> related to an incorrect recycling of the objects which seemed to
>> be there for quite some time, but was fixed for 7.0.22.

Yes, a bug was found in the past. Does that mean there could be a bug
here? Sure, but I think it's unlikely that you have found one.

>> I doubt as well that this is actually a bug in Tomcat, but I
>> wouldn't rule this out completely.
>
> At this point, I think you're probably going to have to create a
> proof-of-concept web application that reproduces this problem. Do
> you think you could boil-down the problem to a single servlet that
> demonstrates what you are observing?
>
>> I tried to do that (it's a little bit more complex than just a
>> single servlet), but so far I did not succeed.

If we can't reproduce it, we can't investigate it. Please keep trying.
There are ways to securely deliver a test case if you can't divorce
the problem from your confidential code.

>> But I can at least reproduce the Session Id change mentioned
>> above if that would be interesting to anyone.

I don't even understand the "session id change" that you described so
it would be helpful to have a test case for that.

>> Recently I start to wonder whether the Implementation of
>> javax.servlet.AsyncContext might actually cache the original
>> request. The interface at least suggest that it could have these
>> information. I did not look at the implementation yet.
>
>> At least the AsyncContext is created based on the Request. But
>> the whole point of this thing is to be shared between requests,
>> or am I wrong there?

Are you caching the AsyncContext yourself, or are you using an
AsyncListener to capture events and using the AsyncContext that comes
from the event?

Can you even give us some pseudocode that shows what you are trying to
do? So far, all you've really said is "Tomcat is messing-up my
sessions". It took you 3 posts to mention that you were using Servlet
3.0 async, which might be the most important piece of information
after the version you are using. Since your version is old, you really
should upgrade regardless of the outcome of this conversation. In
fact, there have been so many changes and tweaks to the async-related
code over the years (/literally/ years since your release came out)
that this problem may not even exist anymore.

Can you reproduce the problem in a test environment with 7.0.29?