Peter,

On 9/15/14 5:00 PM, Peter Kirby wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@pivotal.io>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Peter Kirby
>> <lpki...@harding.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Peter Kirby
>>> <lpki...@harding.edu>

>> I'll
>>> still
>>>

>>> Well, if I had known it would be that fast of a fix, I would
>>> not have replied to the email.  I had accidentally left one
>>> server on Tomcat
>> 8.0.12
>>> and the other on Tomcat 7.0.55.  After they were both on the
>>> same
>> version,
>>> the session information is shared perfectly, which is what I
>>> expected.
>>>
>>> However, the original problem remains.  I discovered I don't
>>> even have to submit the page to fix the "broken" session.  I
>>> can go to the web page
>> and
>>> after it loads hit refresh.  That takes care of the first page
>>> that just resets.  After the refresh button I can log in as
>>> normal.
>>>
>>> If I do actually submit the first time, the jessionid variable
>>> shows up
>> in
>>> the URL when the page comes up the second time in case that's
>>> helpful.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your time.
>>>

>> It might be helpful to look at the access logs on your Tomcat
>> instances and also whatever is in front of them.  This might
>> start to give an account of what happens after the request leaves
>> your browser.
>>
>> Also might be helpful to increase the log level for clustering.
>> I think the following should be helpful.
>>
>> org.apache.catalina.ha.level = FINEST
>> org.apache.catalina.tribes.level = CONFIG
>>
>> Note, you'll probably also have to set the log level of your
>> handler to FINEST, otherwise that'll filter out these messages.
>>
>> 1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.level = FINEST
>>
>> or set ".level" for whatever handler the messages are being sent
>> to.
>>
>> Dan
>>

> Thanks, I'll play with that and see if I see anything.
>
> @Felix - The clustering is just done with DNS.  I'm running Tomcat
> by itself, not behind Apache.  I do not have a jvmRoute value set
> either in test nor production and production works great.

So, replicated sessions (duh, clustering) and no formal load-balancing
(meaning that each request is randomly sent to a Tomcat backend server)?

Are you using cookie-based session tracking? Does the test client
support clients and have them enabled? I've seen things like this
happen when testing with cookies disabled and forgetting to run the
/j_security_check URL through request.encodeURL(), so your session id
gets dropped when you try to log in.