Hi all,

I am trying to call a webservices, which is hosted on a remote server and
is exposed through an https endpoint.

My client is an application hosted on my local tomcat
<http://www.coderanch.com/how-to/java/TomcatFaq>, and in my tomcat's
setenv.bat, I have set the following properties:

echo setting JAVA OPTS for certificates
set "JAVA_OPTS= -Dhttps.proxyHost=10.64.X.XXX -Dhttps.proxyPort=8080
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=%CATALINA_HOME%/certificateStore/XXXProdTrustStore.jks
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=XXX -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStoreType=JKS
-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=%CATALINA_HOME%/certificateStore/XXXProdKeyStore.pfx
-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword=XXX -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStoreType=pkcs12
-Djava.security.debug=all
-Dorg.apache.ws.security.crypto.merlin.file=%CATALINA_HOME%/certificateStore/XXXProdKeyStore.jks
%JAVA_OPTS%"

NOTE: I have generated the XXXProdTrustStore.jks, XXXProdKeyStore.pfx and
XXXProdKeyStore.jks through supplier's provided certificate. From supplier,
i mean the company hosting the webservice.

On my calling the service, I get the following error:

view plain
<http://www.coderanch.com/t/639681/Tomcat/javax-net-ssl-SSLException-SSLException#>
print
<http://www.coderanch.com/t/639681/Tomcat/javax-net-ssl-SSLException-SSLException#>
?
<http://www.coderanch.com/t/639681/Tomcat/javax-net-ssl-SSLException-SSLException#>
Note: Text content in the code blocks is automatically word-wrapped

   1. org.apache.cxf.interceptor.Fault: Could not send Message.
   2.
       at
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.MessageSenderInterceptor$MessageSenderEndingInterceptor.handleMessage(MessageSenderInterceptor.java:
   64)
   3.
       at
org.apache.cxf.phase.PhaseInterceptorChain.doIntercept(PhaseInterceptorChain.java:
   272)
   4.     at org.apache.cxf.endpoint.ClientImpl.doInvoke(ClientImpl.java:570
   )
   5.     at org.apache.cxf.endpoint.ClientImpl.invoke(ClientImpl.java:479
   )
   6.     at org.apache.cxf.endpoint.ClientImpl.invoke(ClientImpl.java:382
   )
   7.     at org.apache.cxf.endpoint.ClientImpl.invoke(ClientImpl.java:335
   )
   8.
       at org.apache.cxf.frontend.ClientProxy.invokeSync(ClientProxy.java:96
   )
   9.
       at org.apache.cxf.jaxws.JaxWsClientProxy.invoke(JaxWsClientProxy.java:
   135)
   10.     at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy34.download(Unknown Source)
   11.
       at
com.scheduling.core.server.Xbot.damas.DamasAvailableCapacityService.query(DamasAvailableCapacityService.java:
   155)
   12.
       at
com.scheduling.core.server.Xbot.XbotCapacityReader.downloadDamasCapacity(XbotCapacityReader.java:
   212)
   13.
       at
com.scheduling.core.server.Xbot.XbotCapacityReader.downloadCapacities(XbotCapacityReader.java:
   175)
   14.
       at
com.scheduling.core.server.Xbot.XbotCapacityReader.fetchAvailableCapacity(XbotCapacityReader.java:
   108)
   15.
       at
com.scheduling.core.server.comm.XbotCommunicatorImpl.getAvailableCapacityFromWebsites(XbotCommunicatorImpl.java:
   149)
   16.
       at
com.scheduling.core.server.comm.XbotCommunicatorImpl.saveLatestAvailableCapacityFromExternalSource(XbotCommunicatorImpl.java:
   120)
   17.
       at
com..scheduling.core.server.comm.XbotCommunicatorImpl.saveLatestAvailableCapacityFromWebsites(XbotCommunicatorImpl.java:
   110)
   18.     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   19.
       at
   39)
   20.
       at
   25)
   21.     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
   22.
       at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPC.invokeAndEncodeResponse(RPC.java:
   569)
   23.
       at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.processCall(RemoteServiceServlet.java:
   208)
   24.
       at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.processPost(RemoteServiceServlet.java:
   248)
   25.
       at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.AbstractRemoteServiceServlet.doPost(AbstractRemoteServiceServlet.java:
   62)
   26.     at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:643)
   27.     at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:723)
   28.
       at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:
   290)
   29.
       at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:
   206)
   30.
       at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:
   233)
   31.
       at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:
   191)
   32.
       at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:
   127)
   33.
       at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:
   103)
   34.
       at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:
   109)
   35.
       at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:
   293)
   36.
       at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:
   861)
   37.
       at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:
   606)
   38.
       at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:
   489)
   39.     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
   40. Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: SSLException invoking https:
   //wse/TimeSeries/TimeSeries.asmx: java.lang.RuntimeException:
Method not supported.

   41.
Method)
   42.
   43. ....

Could someone give me some pointers as to where the problem lies?

Another important observation is that if is implement a standalone client
(standard java <http://www.javaranch.com/>) and execute it "not" as a
JEE/Tomcat component then the I get no issues. There I set everything as
system properties, part of java code and not as batch file JAVA OPTS
properties.

It's only when i run the application in Tomcat, I get the above error
message.

Any help shall be appreciated.

Thanks.