Oooo-kay.  I went and (re)read the document you suggested, did
change docbase in the Context element to docBase (which I did
miss until you pointed it out), and the same thing still hap-
pens.  Evidently, there's no way to tell tomcat how many times
I've read the documentation;-)

I know this is bound to be some stupid little thing I've missed
(I actually had high hopes with the docbase->docBase change),
but I don't know what it is.