Nick,

On 11/5/14 2:48 PM, Nick Wall wrote:
> We have a Win server 2003 running Tomcat and our software I need
> to move this to a new win 2008 R2 server
>
> Is there an easy way to move everything over etc.
>
> Looking at easiest way to move everything over.

It depends upon how you have everything set up. If you have a mostly
default configuration and all your web applications are deployed into
Tomcat's webapps/ directory, then you should be able to just copy the
whole Tomcat directory from one machine to another.

There are a few caveats:

1. If you are switching architectures (e.g. 32-bit to 64-bit, IA64 to
x86_64, etc.) and you are using the tcnative library, then you'll have
to make sure you place the library that matches your destination
architecture into the right place (usually Tomcat's bin/ directory).

2. If you are running Tomcat as a Windows Service, then you'll have to
re-register the service on the target machine once you've moved the
files over. You can get a lot of mileage out of running the following
on the command-line of the destination server:

  C:\> SET CATALINA_HOME=C:\Path\To\Tomcat
  C:\> SET CATALINA_BASE=C:\Path\To\Tomcat
  C:\> %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\service.bat install

You might want to run CATALINA_HOME\bin\tomcat6w.exe on the old
machine and make sure all your settings are copied-over to the new one.

3. You may have net networking components of services on the
destination machine, so make sure you don't have any port conflicts.
The easiest way to check for this is to start Tomcat and look at the
catalina.out log file in Tomcat's logs/ directory. If it doesn't say
anything about not being able to bind to a port, then you should be okay.

> Or if you are familiar with this and can assist setting up and
> moving could look at that possibility as well

You can contact folks off-list if they invite you to do so. I'm not a
great resource for Windows deployments, but I'll happily take your
money and help you out ;)